Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Problems with libtool 2.2.2 and /bin/sh pointing to dash
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 17:52:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Gary V. Vaughan wrote:

We could consider doing that, to avoid these issues.  Of course
alongside an AU_DEFUN that recommends at autoupdate time that LT_OUTPUT
be removed if packages don't need ./libtool inside configure.
Yes, it would be slower.

Much slower.  And with more file droppings to feed and care for.

Thoughts on this?

-1

Agreed. -1.

If someone really wants to upgrade from 1.5.x to 2.x, then I'd rather
send them a canned response and paste something from the manual to the
list until google can find the answer without effort, than I would deal
with asking people to jump through more hoops in order to have libtool
not be so slow.

The reality is that OS package maintainers will develop patches so that the packages work with the version of libtool that they decide to re-libtoolize the packages with. It is not necessary for libtool 2.X to work absolutely the same as 1.5.X. Hopefully upstream package maintainers will learn about these fixes and they will appear in later releases.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn