LIBLTDL

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: LIBLTDL
Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 16:40:18 -0500 (CDT)

For GraphicsMagick I need to maintain a GraphicsMagick-config script which contains such things as the list of libraries necessary to link. The conditionally installed libltdl seems to make this difficult to figure out.

If enable_ltdl_convenience is 'yes' then it is wrong to list -lltdl as needed but if enable_ltdl_install is 'yes' and enable_ltdl_convenience is 'no, then it appears that -lltdl should be listed as a dependency.

In GraphicsMagick things are even more confusing since for a static build, libltdl is not used at all.

It is necessary to build this logic out of internal configure variables. A bunch of existing substitutions will need to change in scripts and Makefiles. Ugh!

It seems that the GM 1.2 release is a bit botched since I did not take the time to think through the convoluted logic.

I suspect that other packages will be bit by this as well.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn