Re: problem getting ARFLAGS to work...

From: Kent Boortz
Subject: Re: problem getting ARFLAGS to work...
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 14:00:31 +0200

Peter Rosin <address@hidden> writes:
> I should mention that it wasn't yesterday that I tripped on this and
> that I might misremember things, but here I go anyway...
>
> I think that for at least one kind of library, Automake sets it up so
> that Libtool creates the library but then makes updates to the lib
> w/o consulting Libtool (i.e. invokes AR directly). Beware, you might
> need to set *both* ARFLAGS and AR_FLAGS.
>
> But as I indicated, I'm not 100% certain.

Not 100% sure my problem wasn't because I messed up something else,
but at the time I did some builds where I needed to change ar flags, I
found the way the particular automake generated make files I could
not override ARFLAGS (or if it was AR_FLAGS) when generating, but had
to do it at "make" time. So to be safe I did

  % make AR="..." ARFLAGS="..." AR_FLAGS="..."

kent