Re: Shared library - static link specific dependency

From: Alon Bar-Lev
Subject: Re: Shared library - static link specific dependency
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 10:15:37 +0300

On 6/6/08, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello Alon,
>
>  * Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Thu, Jun 05, 2008 at 07:09:43PM CEST:
>

>  > I want to make a shared library without dependencies. I compile the
>  > dependencies in PIC mode, so it should be compatible.
>  > I also require this on Windows, in order to build a DLL without
>  > OpenSSL external dependency.
>

> Sorry, but I fail to understand your problem description.  Is it that
>  liba uses a function from libb, but you would like to use
>   libtool --mode=link $CC -o liba.la a1.lo a2.lo -rpath $libdir
>
>  rather than
>   libtool --mode=link $CC -no-undefined -o liba.la a1.lo a2.lo libb.lo -rpath
> $libdir
>
>  ?  Well, on w32, you cannot create DLLs that have unresolved symbols.
>  That's simply not possible.

Thank you for your response,

Let's say I have liba.la pointing to liba.so* and liba.a(pic)
installed in my system. I am not building this right now.
Now, I would like to create moduleb.so that use liba but I do not want
to have external dependency of liba.so*.

This is something like -static-libtool-libs for executables.

But if I use -*static* of libtool, I never get moduleb.so as
build_libtool_libs=no is forced.
I could not find how I can make prefer_static_libs=yes.

Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.