Re: libtool and DTrace link steps

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool and DTrace link steps
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 03:35:43 +0200

Hello Andreas,

* Andreas Färber wrote on Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 11:31:52PM CEST:
> Seeing that libtool itself appears to do something similar by extracting
> its .a libraries to .lax folders before linking iiuc, wouldn't it make
> sense to rather extend libtool with DTrace support?

Sounds like it, yes.  Thanks for bringing this up.

> Has anybody already looked into this,

AFAIK no.

> or do you have any suggestions how to go about that?

Knowing diddly about DTrace, where's its documentation?  Most likely
trivial support can be had by writing a compiler/linker wrapper that
runs dtrace programs as part of the build process.  Anything more
involved needs to know about semantics and command line interface.

Such support would be nice, and we'd be happy to help if you are eager
to add such functionality.  (Note that nontrivial patches require
copyright assignment to the FSF.)