Re: shared libraries on darwin using Intel compiler

From: Peter O'Gorman
Subject: Re: shared libraries on darwin using Intel compiler
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 17:47:27 -0500

Christopher Hulbert wrote:
> In libtool 2.2.2, building shared libraries using Intel fortran
> compilers seem to be disabled (although the icc compiler appears to
> say yes). Thus, mixed language shared libraries or purely fortran
> shared libraries can't be built. I have the intel 10.1 compilers. As a
> quick way to get shared libraries working, I hacked the
> _LT_LINKER_SHLIBS function for the darwin case to what's below, but
> I'm sure there's a better way of doing this. What would be the more
> preferable way of adding support for shared libraries using Intel
> fortran compiler? I'm not sure why it works for icc but not ifort.
> Using the hack below I can successfully link with the fortran linker
> and build the shared library.

Hi Chris,

I will look at this, but to answer your question about why icc works -
it defines __GNUC__ and behaves almost exactly the same as gcc (I
believe it calls gcc to do its linking), so the existing commands for
gcc work fine with icc.

I am unsure why they do not work with ifort, I would have thought that
would similarly define __GNUC__. Could you please send me a config.log
from a libtool using package (or from libtool itself) without this patch
applied.

Thanks,
Peter
--