Re: Using libltdl with the Microsoft compiler

From: Braden McDaniel
Subject: Re: Using libltdl with the Microsoft compiler
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 16:20:13 -0400

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Braden McDaniel wrote on Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 11:03:04AM CEST:
In lt__glibc.h, there are symbols HAVE_ARGZ_H and HAVE_WORKING_ARGZ.
Yet, argz.h appears to be included irrespective of them.  Is this
intentional?  (It's a problem here because there is no argz.h.)

Yes.  Libtool provides a replacement argz.h, see libltdl/argz_.h.

I did. But argz_.h is not getting included by lt__glibc.h; argz.h is. Does the configure build copy argz_.h to argz.h?

How come you cannot use a shell environment like MinGW or SFU to build
Libtool?  You're going to have a pretty rough time emulating the rather
involved build logic for it.

It didn't seem so bad for libtool 1.5; I guess it's gotten quite a bit more complicated for 2.x?

Historically (i.e. prior to libtool 2.x), I've found that those shell environments have not been up to the task of building my project with the Microsoft compiler. So I've maintained a Visual C++ project file build for that compiler. I've just recently started using libltdl in my project, though; and I'd like to build it using the same facilities as the rest of the software.

Really, I'd be happy to jettison the Visual C++ project file build and build the software with the autotools on Windows. But libtool 1.5 certainly didn't play nicely with the Microsoft compiler; and while I haven't tried 2.2, the traffic I've seen on this list suggests that patches to improve that situation haven't made it in yet.

--
Braden McDaniel                      e-mail: <address@hidden>
<http://endoframe.com>               Jabber: <address@hidden>