libtool

MinGW DLLs and autoconf parsing

From: Jason Curl
Subject: MinGW DLLs and autoconf parsing
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 22:24:33 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Recently some info was posted about using resource files with Windows
compilers. I'm trying to generate a reasonably simple Version resource and
there's some information I'm not sure how I can extract from the build process.
I'm using libtool-1.5.27a on MSYS-1.0.10 with MinGW-5.1.4.

Question 1:
One of the fields is "OriginalFilename". When the shared DLL is built, it is
installed "libfoo-1.dll". I've created a "rsrc.rc.in" file that autoconf
generates for me, substituting information from the build process directly into
this resource file.

However, how might I get the name of the library before it is built?

Question 2:
The second task is the versioning. There are two fields, both of the format:
FILEVERSION major,minor,revision,build

I need to substitute them based on the version information given to libtool
during the linking phase.
WINSERLOG_VERSION_INFO="1:0:0"
AC_SUBST(WINSERLOG_VERSION_INFO)

How can I convert the string "1:0:0" to a major.minor.revision field? How does
this work?

Question 3:
As the libtool --tag=RC doesn't work for 1.5.27a (it complained about an