Re: .lai files

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: .lai files
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:25:00 +0200

Hi Patrick, Bob,

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 08:08:39PM CEST:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to debug the libsasl make install error:
>>
>> libtool: install: /usr/bin/install -c .libs/libsasldb.lai
>> /usr/local/lib/sasl2/libsasldb.la
>> install: .libs/libsasldb.lai: stat: No such file or directory
>>
>> but I can't seem to find any documentation on where/when a .lai is created.

Should be created at the time the .la file is created.

>> My guess is that it may have to do with plugins/Makefile.am:
>>
>> libsasldb_la_LIBADD = ../sasldb/libsasldb.la $(SASL_DB_LIB) $(COMPAT_OBJS)
>>
>> libsasldb.la being built in a neighbouring directory.

Sounds rather unlikely to me, but what do I know?  ;-)

> Libtool writes many files to a hidden '.libs' directory.  Since the .lai
> file does not exist, perhaps there is an ordering error in your
> makefile?
>
> Automake is a powerful tool, but there are some things it just does not
> handle completely.  One of those things is library build and install
> order.

Certainly you have a point.  (Maybe not for much longer, but that's
another topic.)  However, I don't think an ordering issue would complain
about a missing .lai file, those rather have problems finding dependent
installed libs.

Patrick, it would be really good to have a reproducible example,
including all autotools versions used, system this is on, shell.
Bonus points for a small example, but a larger one is better than
none, too.

Thanks,