Re: Libtool 2.2.6a

From: Jeff Squyres
Subject: Re: Libtool 2.2.6a
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 07:59:21 -0400

On Sep 17, 2008, at 3:00 PM, Peter O'Gorman wrote:

Yeah, it is mostly a repacking of the libtool-2.2.6.tar.* that were
released the day before. Putting up files with the same name but
different sums is also bad. It is noted in the release announcement:

I understand, and I saw the version number discrepancy in the release announcement (FWIW, I've had those "oops-need-to-rerelease-in-less- than-24-hours" kinds of moments as well -- so I feel your pain). But I did not expect the tarball to expand into a directory ending in "2.2.6".

Specifically: the tarball has a filename that ends in "2.2.6a". To match the convention used by all the other autoconf/automake/libtool tarballs, I expected it to expand into a directory named "2.2.6a" -- and my scripts reflected that expectation. I now have a special case for LT 2.2.6a in my scripts. While this is certainly not the end of the world, it shouldn't really have been necessary. My $0.02 would have been to either rename it 2.2.8 or change the directory and version to report 2.2.6a.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a long-time, happy Libtool user. This is just something that surprised me because it went against prior conventions, so I thought I'd mention it on the list.

--
Jeff Squyres
Cisco Systems