Re: Sticky --disable-shared

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Sticky --disable-shared
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:48:55 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
Why not? I can build a shared library linking it with a static one. The static library has to be compiled with -fPIC, of course. It will then be included in the shared one, without further runtime dependencies.

I had never used libtool directly until today. Now I know it supports those kind of builds.

Libtool is a portability tool which supports portable forms of behavior and tries to guide dependent projects toward portable behavior. While building a shared library linked with a static one can work for many targets it does not work for all. There is also the concern over potential duplicate symbols if multiple shared libraries link against the same static library, which becomes an even more severe situation if the static libraries are different versions.

Quite a few projects are developed under only one OS (e.g. Linux) yet hope to work on operating systems that the developer does no have access to, or does not have time to test on.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn