using .la or .a when linking an executable ?

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: using .la or .a when linking an executable ?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 13:04:44 +0200 (CEST)

Hey,

we have a library called libeet and an binary called eet.

libeet depends on libjpeg and zlib., so in the file libeet.la, the field dependency_libs is set to "-lz /usr/lib/libjpeg.la"

Now, to create the binary eet, in my Makefile.am, i have:

eet_LDADD = $(top_builddir)/src/lib/libeet.la

Hence when I call objdump -p on my eet binary, i get:

  NEEDED      libeet.so.1
  NEEDED      libz.so.1
  NEEDED      libjpeg.so.62

But a friend told me that the eet binary should not have libz and libjpeg, only libeet.

So I have two questions:

1) Is my friend right ?

2) If he is right, what should I do to remove those "dependencies" ? (flag to pass in a variable in my Makefile.am, or something like that)

I paste the Makefile.am that is used to compile the eet binary below

thank you

Vincent Torri

### beginning of Makefile.am

MAINTAINERCLEANFILES = Makefile.in

AM_CPPFLAGS = \
-I$(top_srcdir)/src/lib \
-DPACKAGE_BIN_DIR=\"$(bindir)\" \
-DPACKAGE_LIB_DIR=\"$(libdir)\" \
-DPACKAGE_DATA_DIR=\"$(datadir)/$(PACKAGE)\"

bin_PROGRAMS = eet

eet_SOURCES = eet_main.c
eet_CFLAGS = @WIN32_CFLAGS@
eet_LDADD = $(top_builddir)/src/lib/libeet.la
eet_LDFLAGS = @lt_enable_auto_import@
eet_DEPENDENCIES = $(top_builddir)/src/lib/libeet.la