Re: using .la or .a when linking an executable ?

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: using .la or .a when linking an executable ?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:23:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

* Vincent Torri wrote on Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 09:47:02PM CEST:
* Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* Vincent Torri wrote on Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 01:04:44PM CEST:

2) If he is right, what should I do to remove those "dependencies" ?
(flag to pass in a variable in my Makefile.am, or something like that)

You can pass -Wl,--as-needed when the linker is the GNU binutils one.
But beware that it may break things with some compilers (notably C++
ones), with some apps that do dlopen and expect dependencies to be
present, and did not work right in some older versions of ld.

Do you have an idea if:

 * it works on Windows (mingw binutils) ?

No.  I wouldn't even know that indirect deps work on w32, or whether
they help there.

Ok, i'll wait for a mingw dev to answer.

 * from which version of ld it is safe to use that flag ?

Look at the gnulib module lib-ignore, for a pointer for more
information, and a macro to use --as-needed when possible.

for posterity: according to NEWS of ld, it as been introduced in binutils 2.15 (mid 2004)

Vincent