Re: using .la or .a when linking an executable ?

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: using .la or .a when linking an executable ?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 13:51:05 -0700

Vincent Torri wrote:

> > No.  I wouldn't even know that indirect deps work on w32, or whether
> > they help there.
>
> Ok, i'll wait for a mingw dev to answer.

It's irrelevant.  The option is accepted but silently ignored, because
PE doesn't have anything analogous to the ELF DT_NEEDED tag.  If you
specify a lib on the link command line but no symbols in it are
referenced from the program being linked, it's a no-op, so the problem
that this option was invented to solve doesn't exist there.

Brian