Re: problem when cross compiling with mingw32ce

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: problem when cross compiling with mingw32ce
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 13:52:44 +0200

Hello Vincent, and sorry for the delay,

* Vincent Torri wrote on Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 08:52:54AM CEST:

>> I'm cross-compiling using the cegcc toolchain and the mingw32ce
>> compiler. I have 2 problems:
>>
>> 1) I use Windows sockets, hence i have to link against libws2 and I
>> pass -lws2. I have the following (usual...) message:
>>
>> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lws2.
>> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
>> *** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
>> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
>> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
>> *** with libws2 and none of the candidates passed a file format test
>> *** using a file magic. Last file checked:
>> /home/torri/local/opt/mingw32ce/lib/gcc/arm-mingw32ce/4.1.0/../../../../arm-mingw32ce/lib//libws2.a

This should only happen if the logic in libtool cannot determine that
libws2.a is an import library.  The logic for this is quite involved:
it uses 'file' to determine the file type, and may use the
func_win32_libid shell function in libtool, which itself uses $NM and
$OBJDUMP to find out more.  So you have to have these set correctly to
the cross tools (arm-mingw32ce-objdump or so), for example.  Normally,
the configure script should get that right (please check that!).

If with those settings, things still fail, you should surround the
func_win32_libid code in your libtool script with 'set -x', 'set +x'
and look at the commands called, when 'libtool --mode=link' is run.
Call them manually and inspect their output.  The comments in the
function explain what is expected.

>> 2) 2nd qestion: I have the following message from libtool (which i do
>> not have with other compilers):
>>
>> libtool: link: Could not determine host path corresponding to
>> libtool: link:   '/home/torri/local/wince/lib'
>> libtool: link: Continuing, but uninstalled executables may not work.
[...]
>> I've never seen those message. Again, I would like to know what is happening.
>
> No idea where I should look in ltmain.sh to fix those messages ?

Please provide more information, like exactly how you invoked configure,
post the command that was used that produced the above output, and all
its output, not just the warnings.