Re: libtool optimization

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: libtool optimization
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:35:26 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Michel Briand wrote:
You don't see my point. In autogen I want to have a way to select a
different shell (for configure & libtool). I'm not saying that I'll
choose a shell that fails to run the tools or that I'll not ask the
user for the best shell available...

As Ralph detailed earlier, it is possible for the end user to specify the shell to use. It is actually pretty challenging to know which shell on a system works since they are often riddled with bugs or obscure behavior. Sometimes it seems like things works but wrong results are discovered later. Even though versions of bash also have bugs, it is easier to understand the bugs in one implementation so autoconf currently checks for bash first and then sticks with it if it is available.

The shell selection functionality is part of Autoconf and some of the world's most experienced developers have been involved in designing the selection logic.

Furthermore you seems to indicate that Dash would not run configure ?

In my testing, dash is a real speed daemon and does usually work to perform normal package configuration. However, I learned the hard way that wrong things could happen if dash was used by the maintainer of a package.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn