Q: 'make prefix=/new/path install'

From: Daniel Herring
Subject: Q: 'make prefix=/new/path install'
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 01:13:23 -0500 (EST)

I would like to build and install several revisions of a large system (hours to compile on slower machines).

My hope was to build the project in a central location so unchanged files wouldn't need to recompile, and then have libtool relink everything and fix the RPATHs during install. This doesn't seem to be happening.

Libtool 2.2.4 on linux.

Until a better idea comes around, I'll just disable shared libraries.

Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel

P.S.  I started down this path due to a paragraph in automake's info:
   All these directory variables have values that start with either
`${prefix}' or `${exec_prefix}' unexpanded.  This works fine in
`Makefiles', but it makes these variables hard to use in `configure'.
This is mandated by the GNU coding standards, so that the user can run
`make prefix=/foo install'.  The Autoconf manual has a section with
more details on this topic (*note Installation Directory Variables:
(autoconf)Installation Directory Variables.).  See also *Note
Hard-Coded Install Paths::.