Re: IA64 HP-UX libtool / gcc question about shared libraries

From: Steve Ellcey
Subject: Re: IA64 HP-UX libtool / gcc question about shared libraries
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 08:46:22 -0800

On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 16:01 -0600, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> For many years, I have not seen it done any other way.  I thought that
> all GCC switched to using a shared libgcc years ago.
>
> Bob

When I look at a C compile on Linux (with GCC 4.1.1 or with GCC ToT) on
x86, I see a link line containing:

-lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s --no-as-needed -lc -lgcc --as-needed -lgcc_s
--no-as-needed

So it looks like GCC is going to use the static libgcc first and include
the shared libgcc_s only if needed, this may be why Linux doesn't have
the same problem as HP-UX with libgomp.   The HP linker that I am using
on IA64 HP-UX doesn't have an --as-needed flag.  I guess I could leave
it out and use "-lgcc -lgcc_s" on HP-UX.

Steve Ellcey
address@hidden