Re: just how much autotools got faster, or: just forget about dolt

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: just how much autotools got faster, or: just forget about dolt
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 11:20:04 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

What does this mean?  Going from (1) to (2) gives 22% saving in absolute
build time.  Meanwhile, the build system overhead (time not spent inside
gcc, ar, ld) went from 38% of the total build time down to 17%.  That's
not yet the 5% which Bob once decreed as goal, but also it's not too far
away any more.  I think we can be pretty proud of being able to cut 65%
off the build system overhead.  :-)

That is a quite spectacular improvement. No more need for 'dolt', 'daft', or any of its kin. Now we just need to convince major slow-moving projects to use it. Spread the word!

I suspect that the 5% which Bob once rashly decreed as goal may be achieved by increasing the compilation optimization level.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn