stop libtool from compiling everything twice

From: herman bastiaens
Subject: stop libtool from compiling everything twice
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 14:52:58 +0000

Hi,

is there a way to stop libtool from compiling everything twice? I am compiling a convenience library, so I add the -static and -prefer-non-pic flag, but it's still compiling my file twice. The command looks like this:

  libtool --mode=compile g++ -prefer-non-pic -static -g -pipe -c file.cpp

the output looks like this:
  g++ -g -pipe -c file.cpp -o .libs/file.o
  g++ -g -pipe -c file.cpp -o file.o > /dev/null 2>&1

it seems like overkill to compile this file twice, if libtool really needs the .o file in the .libs folder a cp would suffice IMO.

OS is Ubuntu 64bits, libtool version is 1.5.26-1ubuntu1

Any thoughts?

thanks