Re: tips for checking changes to library version numbers?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: tips for checking changes to library version numbers?
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 06:27:33 +0100

Hello Michel,

* Michel Briand wrote on Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 05:19:29AM CET:
> Brian Gough <address@hidden> - Thu, 27 Nov 2008 19:34:45 +0000
> >
> >Does anyone have any good ways to check that updates to -version-info
> >numbers accurately reflect the actual changes in the API of a library
> >when making a new release?

> another check I can imagine is about the version of your library.

I'm sorry, but can you please explain in which way this should help
answering the following question: Brian, the package maintainer, is
about to release another version of his package; he would like to
know if, since the last release, the semantic, API, and ABI changes
to his library necessitate a bump in the version number triple to be
used for the upcoming release?

This isn't a question which can be answered completely mechanically,
at least I don't know of such a possibility.