Re: Distributable libraries

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Distributable libraries
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:03:44 +0100

Hello Olivier,

* Olivier Boudeville wrote on Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 11:25:12AM CET:

> I am working in a program which I would like to distribute on binary
> form for various OS including GNU/Linux. The program is made of an
> executable and two libraries, and its build system is based on the
> autotools. My problem is that libtool links that executable with these
> two installed libraries with rpath.

When configuring the package, use a prefix/libdir that is searched by
default by the runtime linker.  Then libtool will add no run paths.
For example, you can use 'configure --prefix=/usr' or 'configure
--libdir=/usr/lib' or something similar.

If you need the 'make install' step in order to end up with the
installed binaries (which you should do!), then use DESTDIR to
avoid your files overwriting system files.

Of course, on your users' systems, your program will only work if
you install the libraries where the runtime linker will find them
by default.  If you need to be able to move them, then instead of
the above recommendation, please consider using the gnulib
relocatable-{lib,prog} modules.  See the gnulib page for more
information.

Hope that helps.