Re: Getting filenames for libraries

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: Getting filenames for libraries
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:24:42 -0800

Jason Curl wrote:

> >> I can't move over to libtool 2.2.x just yet (most distros I support
> >> still have 1.5.26 - sorry) and I'm generating libraries.
> >>

> > FWIW, most distros have a way to use upstream packages without
> > re-libtoolizing and re-autoreconfing them.
> >
> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04, SuSE 11.0, Cygwin 1.5.x. I'm a little afraid of
> having both libtool 1.5.x and 2.x installed simultaneously and don't
> want to uninstall 1.5.x in fear of breaking things. This newsgroup has
> enough reports about mixing releases, especially libtool.

I think what Ralf meant was that you said "most distros I support" as if
to imply that shipping a tarball generated with 2.2 would also require
end-users to have 2.2 installed to build it.  But the whole point of the
"make dist" tarball is that it's standalone and the user shouldn't need
any special developer tools to build it, other than a shell, compiler,
and make.

Brian