Re: Migrating from 1.5.x to 2.2.x

From: Jason Curl
Subject: Re: Migrating from 1.5.x to 2.2.x
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 17:29:53 +0100

Dan Nicholson wrote:
On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM, Jason Curl <address@hidden> wrote:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
Hello Jason,

* Jason Curl wrote on Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:19:57PM CET:

Ignoring that my macro obviously won't work with 2.2.x, I'm using Cygwin
 and I've come across my first problem. The old libtool is removed
 (1.5.27a) and the new is installed (at least I think the old is removed).

I deleted my aclocal.m4 file and I autoreconf. I do see that the new
 libtool is being picked up by autotools as when configure I get errors
 where I'd expect and it knows not to check for C++ or Fortran anymore.
 "config.lt" generates the file "libtool" and thats where things start to
 get stuck.

'get stuck' is pretty vague.  Please make it more specific by posting
the command you issued, and cut-and-pasting its output.  Since you seem
to have a macro that interferes with Libtool macros, please post it, too
(or a link if it's large or you've already posted it).  Showing contents
of configure.ac can help, too, but I'd be able to tell better with more
information.

OK - a "libtoolize" works around the problem. And "./libtool --version" now
shows 2.2.6.

I would bet that you ran bare autoreconf. libtoolize is only run when
you pass --install to autoreconf. As Ralf points out, passing
--verbose to autoreconf can be very helpful while producing little
extra output.
You're right, I only ran "autoreconf". "libtoolize" fixed the problem.

A concern I have about "libtoolize", it copies "libtool.m4" and lt*.m4 files to my "m4" macro directory. This is OK so long as all development platforms where I might run "autoreconf" are configured the same. I've tested to autoreconf my project on Ubuntu 8.10 that has by default libtool-2.2.4, where my Cygwin installation has libtool-2.2.6a. If I go backwards I get warnings. And I've already had a problem that during building the software the libtool scripts hung. All this occurs as soon as when the macros in m4/lt*.m4 don't match that which are installed on the local machine. I never had this issue with libtool-1.5.23 to libtool-1.5.26.

Also what irks at the moment, is where does the libtool-1.5.x libtool that is generated by configure come from, if I don't have the m4/lt*.m4 macros in my project? Do I still have an installation problem?

I was hoping these libtool macros don't need to be part of my project and would be pulled from the installation. That way it's always guaranteed to be using the right macros when I run autoreconf.

In that regard, I miss having libtool-1.5. It was simpler.