Re: Issues with latest libtool version

From: Ravi Kumar
Subject: Re: Issues with latest libtool version
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:37:42 -0700

Hi,

I set the ACLOCAL_FLAGS to /usr/share/aclocal  ,

Running libtoolize...

libtoolize: putting auxiliary files in `.'.

libtoolize: copying file `./ltmain.sh'

libtoolize: You should add the contents of the following files to `aclocal.m4':

libtoolize:   `/usr/share/aclocal/libtool.m4'

libtoolize:   `/usr/share/aclocal/ltoptions.m4'

libtoolize:   `/usr/share/aclocal/ltversion.m4'

libtoolize:   `/usr/share/aclocal/ltsugar.m4'

libtoolize:   `/usr/share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4'

libtoolize: Consider adding `AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4])' to configure.in and

libtoolize: rerunning libtoolize, to keep the correct libtool macros in-tree.

libtoolize: Consider adding `-I m4' to ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am.

Running aclocal -I /usr/share/aclocal ...

This is followed by some warning in configure.in and then warnings about not following GNU standard in Makefile.am , followed by autoconf.

I have tried autoreconf , but i am still hitting the same issue.

Ravi

>>> Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> 1/20/2009 12:15 AM >>>
Hello Ravi,

* Ravi Kumar wrote on Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:41:59PM CET:

> I had my app compiled and running on OpenSuse 10.2 / SLE 10 , which
> comes with libtool version of 1.5.26. Now i am trying to build my
> client on OpenSuse 11.1 or SLE 11 where the libtool version is 2.2 .
> Here with the latest version automake was exiting with status 1 and
> Makefiles were not getting generated.

Did automake output anything?  Did aclocal find the macro files of the
new Libtool?  Use --verbose to find out.  In order to let it find them,
you can for example use the dirlist feature (add the entry
$libtool_prefix/share/aclocal to the file
$automake_prefix/share/aclocal/dirlist); or you could use the -I option
to aclocal, or ensure that Automake and Libtool are installed below the
same $prefix.

But of course there could be other reasons as well; did you run
autoreconf -vfi so that ltmain.sh is replaced in your package?
Without copy and paste of commands plus output it is hard to say.