Re: library versioning

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: library versioning
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 07:39:02 +0100

Hello Matěj,

* Matěj Týč wrote on Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 09:37:20PM CET:
> libtool has a nice way how to version libraries.
> However, how do I tell to the linker that my app has to link with the
> library that supports interface x?

This is not possible, in general.  It has nothing much to do with
libtool either, because typically it's just the system semantics that
allow for only one unversioned soname symlink.

Users typically work around this by installing different library
versions in different $prefix'es.  Developers typically hack around
this by using the -release flag to rename the library, which comes with
its added costs of course (see the manual!).

Of course, if you don't have to be able to have multiple versions
installed concurrently, then all you do is use a configure test like
AC_CHECK_LIB or sisters with the latest-added symbol that you need,
or a self-written link test if the latest needed API isn't
distinguishable by function symbol alone.

Hope that helps.