Re: Linking just some static

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: Linking just some static
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:47:15 +0100 (CET)

On Monday 2009-02-23 10:45, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>[...]
>So it's back to the drawing and testing board for the patch.  One of
>the problems is that
>- for the "prefer one type of library but not the other" we might have
>  to drop the switches for libraries which don't match,
>- for the "require one type of library" we might have to test library
>  types on systems where we didn't really care about it before (AIX).
>  And we might have to use different switches (HP-UX, which has four
>  switches for prefer/require static/shared).
>  <http://wiki.azazil.net/GnuLibtoolProject/FeatureRequests/PerDeplibFlags>

I do believe my request is not really related to ld,
but much more so with libtool.

        libfoo_la_LIBADD = -lm
        p1_LDADD = -static-deepness=1 libfoo.la -static-deepness=0 libbar.la

should yield (on a system that supports shared libs, and where such
are enabled through configure etc.etc.)

        ld -o p1 libfoo.a $(source libfoo.la; echo
        $dependency_libs) .libs/libbar.so

Deepness related to the dependency tree:
        (level 1)       libfoo.la
        (level 2)       \_ libm
        (level 3)          \_ libc

"-Bstatic" would be equivalent to -static-deepness=Infty, plus
it's impractical for libtool to support -static-deepness >= 2 < Infty,
but that would be fine for me.