Re: cmdline_wrap.at

From: Tim Rice
Subject: Re: cmdline_wrap.at
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:50:27 -0800 (PST)

Hi Ralf,

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:

: Hi Tim,
:
: * Tim Rice wrote on Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 10:47:49PM CET:
: > On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
: > > * Tim Rice wrote on Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 09:29:40PM CET:
: > > >
: > > > I'm trying to understand the cmdline_wrap.at test.
: > > > I've added this patch to fix the 2 template tests that were failing
: > > > on UnixWare 7.1.4
: > >
: > > Can you post the verbose output of the test both without and with the
: > > patch?  Thanks.
: > >   gmake check-local TESTSUITEFLAGS='-k "simple template test" -v -d -x'
: >
: > Sure, attched as x.tst-without-patch & x.tst-with-patch
: > I've also attached the curent patch I'm using as uw-template.patch
: > It's just a s/CXX/CC/ of the old one.
:
: How come there is no ranlib step in old_archive_cmds?

Simple, there is no ranlib on UnixWare.

: Otherwise, if it causes no other testsuite regressions, it looks good to
: me.

No other regressions.

: > > How long is the actual command line length limit on your system?
: > > If it is >1MB or unlimited, then this is unlikely to ever be a problem
: > > in practice, and you can ignore the failure.  But some systems have
: > > pretty low limits.
: >
: > On my system it is 131072 but it is a kernel tunable and the default
: > out of the box is 32k.
:
: That's too low for some packages.

Indeed, but it can be tuned as high as 1048576.

: > > The output of the failing/passing of the test above may help analyze the
: > > failure of the cmdline_wrap test.
: >
: > John Wolfe was looking at this too (using 2.2.6) and here is what
: > he had to say
: > --------------------------
: > I know why test 73 (small command line) test fails on #62 (C++
: > templates).
: >
: >    - one of the link lines (second) linking against a .la, gets
: > broken up and .o's are collected in a relocatable object using.
: >
: >              /bin/ld -r
: >
: >      Ergo the problem, the prelink phase is skipped.  It is not a
: > problem with the archive being built, since $AR can accumulate
: > object files, 1 file at a time.
: >      So the CC -Tprelink_objects is accomplished as expected  - just
: > before the $AR.
: >      The prelinker command echo can be seen in the log.
: >
: >      For shared objects, what is needed is to get a CC -Tprelink_objects
: > done on the libobjs before they are added to the relocatable object.
:
: Can you show how it would need to work?  If libtool reloads
:   a.o b.o c.o             -> libfoo-1.o
:   d.o e.o f.o libfoo-1.o  -> libfoo-2.o
: and links
:   g.o libfoo-2.o          -> libfoo.la
:
: then which objects does CC -Tprelink_objects need to be run on?

Maybe we can get John to comment on this one. He knows the C++ compile
much better than I do.

: >      The /bin/ld cannot be replaced with $CC since the C++ compiler
: > driver will link in startup modules also.....  Soon get a multiple
: > defined symbol.
:
: Yes.
:
: Thanks,
: Ralf

--
Tim Rice                                Multitalents    (707) 887-1469
address@hidden