Re: -no-undefined support for GNU/Linux

From: Mike Frysinger
Subject: Re: -no-undefined support for GNU/Linux
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 04:27:42 -0400

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 03:00:07 Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> * Mike Frysinger wrote on Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 06:22:18AM CET:
> > in a project for a LD_PRELOAD module, i like to use -no-undefined because
> > undefined symbols will not work in it at all.  i would like to see a link
> > error up front rather than random runtime failures.  googling around
> > shows patches from 6-8 years ago.  they refer to an older glibc bug
> > (which at this point makes it a bug on decade old systems) that should be
> > accounted for, but otherwise there wasnt any response to the proposed
> > patch.  is there any real reason for Linux not supporting something so
> > basic as -no-undefined ? especially considering it only needs one linker
> > flag (-Wl,--no-undefined) ?
>
> IIRC lots of things would break on Linux if we used -Wl,--no-undefined.
> I don't recall the details, but I'm sure glibc wasn't the only problem
> child in this area.

rather than make it the default, i would expect the flag to only show up when
people have explicitly done -no-undefined.  the breakage there shouldnt be too
bad right ?

for my package, ive added my own linker check for -Wl,--no-undefined into my
configure script

> Before we do this, I'd like to see some real-world exposure of it, say,
> using it to build the better part of a distribution or so.  Running the
> Libtool testsuite with it would be a good starter.  :-)

i dont have a problem running it on my Gentoo systems ... pretty easy to
rebuild quite a bit of packages there

but a patch would be needed first ... there's the previous one in the archives
that was ported to libtool-1.5 ...
-mike