Re: version and release number

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: version and release number
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:32:40 +0200

Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

so would you suggest to use only version info and no release info, am I right? I was only concerned about the fact that the release number of the library is not visible anywhere and that it would force the use to specify a name together with the number...

There are a few reasons for using release info. Some projects don't care about binary compatibility or updates to libraries so they could use release info to differentiate between releases. Other projects maintain parallel branches of the software (e.g. older and newer) and want an easy way to allow the multiple branches to be distributed without fear that they will collide with other branch's version info and end up producing shared libraries with the same names.

OK, so probably if a library changes radically from one (major) release number to another (e.g., qt3 and qt4), it makes sense to append the major release number to the name of the library, so that the user of the library has to make explicit the library release he intends to use, right?

thanks
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net