Re: Problem with libltdl on Solaris

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Problem with libltdl on Solaris
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 23:33:12 +0200

Hi Will,

* Will Mason wrote on Mon, May 11, 2009 at 05:07:36PM CEST:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:10 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden>wrote:
> > * Will Mason wrote on Mon, May 11, 2009 at 06:47:58AM CEST:
> > > I've been using a project with autoconf, automake and libtool for some
> > > time.
> > > Today I added libltdl to my code. I ran libtoolize --ltdl --copy. My
> > > configure.ac has this:
> > >
> > > LT_CONFIG_LTDL_DIR([libltdl])
> > > LT_INIT([dlopen])
> > > LT_LANG([C++])
> > > LTDL_INIT([recursive])

> > > When I build on Mac OS X, everything is great. It all works perfectly.
> > > When
> > > I build on Solaris 10 with CC, my executables fail to link because of
> > > this:
> > >
> > > Undefined                       first referenced
> > >  symbol                             in file
> > > lt__argz_insert                     ./.libs/libforxxq.so

> > > I can see no way to convince libtool that it should actually compile the
> > > argz stuff. In the Makefile I see ltdl_LIBOBJS = argz.o, but I can't see
> > > how
> > > to tell the system to actually target that file. Has anyone seen this
> > > problem before? Can anyone help me sort this out?
> >
> > Which Autoconf and Automake versions do you use?

> Thanks for the reply. I'm using autoconf 2.63 and automake 1.10.1.

Hmm.  libltdl/Makefile should contain all of these lines:

  ltdl_LTLIBOBJS = argz.lo

  libltdl_la_LIBADD = $(ltdl_LTLIBOBJS)
  libltdl_la_DEPENDENCIES = $(LT_DLLOADERS) $(ltdl_LTLIBOBJS)

  libltdlc_la_LIBADD = $(libltdl_la_LIBADD)
  libltdlc_la_DEPENDENCIES = $(libltdl_la_DEPENDENCIES)

  libltdl.la: $(libltdl_la_OBJECTS) $(libltdl_la_DEPENDENCIES)
        $(libltdl_la_LINK) $(am_libltdl_la_rpath) $(libltdl_la_OBJECTS)
$(libltdl_la_LIBADD) $(LIBS)

  libltdlc.la: $(libltdlc_la_OBJECTS) $(libltdlc_la_DEPENDENCIES)
        $(libltdlc_la_LINK) $(am_libltdlc_la_rpath) $(libltdlc_la_OBJECTS)
$(libltdlc_la_LIBADD) $(LIBS)

What's missing in your build tree?
Also, I think you haven't stated yet which Libtool version you're using.
Libtool-2.2.6 has this in the NEWS file:

  * Bug fixes:

    - Fix 2.2 regression that caused argz symbols to be exported from
      libltdl unrenamed on systems that do not have working argz.

so if you're using something older, please update to 2.2.6a.

Thanks,