Re: Windows compilers

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: Windows compilers
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:05:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 13 May 2009, Christopher Hulbert wrote:

Until now, I have been using for the most part the PGI compilers on
Windows which conveniently use most of the same flags/command style as
its Linux compilers (e.g. -L -l). I am now also trying to use the
Intel compilers which use the MSVC format on Windows (e.g. -link
-libpath:). I have been looking at the pr-msvc-support branch, but
have a few questions.

1. What's the future of that branch? Is it ever likely to merge into
master to become part of a libtool release and have a larger support
base?

Since no one else has responded, I will. I think that the intention is that this branch will eventually merge into master to become part of a libtool release. Libtool history suggests that the germination time for such branches can be quite a long time. Several times now it has taken over four years. Hopefully it will be substantially less time in this case. A lot depends on if the patches in the branch are proven to not diminish portability and performance on other platforms.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn