Re: condor_compile and libtool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: condor_compile and libtool
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 20:32:32 +0200

Hello Adam,

* Adam Mercer wrote on Tue, May 12, 2009 at 02:41:11AM CEST:
> initially I tried
>
> LD=/opt/condor/lib/ld ./configure --enable-condor
>
> and that failed to link with the error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: attempted static link of dynamic object
> `/home/ram/opt/lal/lib/liblalsupport.so'
>
> so I then tried:
>
> LD="/opt/condor/lib/ld -static" ./configure --enable-condor
>
> and that failed with the same error. Looking at the actual linker
> line, all the libraries it is trying to link against are dynamic not
> static. I tried doing exactly the same using the current libtool,
> 1.4.2 IIRC, and the first command above brings in static versions of
> all the libraries and therefore works.

What I can gather about Condor on GNU/Linux is that it used to support
static libraries only, cf. this old manual:
<http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/manual/v6.2/1_4Current_Limitations.html>.

So you might want to try
  ./configure --enable-condor --disable-shared LD=/opt/condor/lib/ld

or even
  ./configure --enable-condor --disable-shared LD=/opt/condor/lib/ld \
              LDFLAGS=-static

And no, 1.4.2 is not the current Libtool version, just like 2002 is not
the current year.

Hope that helps.