Re: shlib_search_path on cygwin in func_mode_link

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: shlib_search_path on cygwin in func_mode_link
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 00:02:07 +0200

Hello Christopher,

* Christopher Hulbert wrote on Tue, May 19, 2009 at 05:54:17PM CEST:
> I am working on the search for libraries in func_mode_link to get it
> to find DLL import libraries on the search path (this is around line
> 4824 of ltmain.m4sh). The shlib_search_path is built on shlibpath_var
> which is set to PATH on cygwin. My setup happens to have a PATH with
> spaces in the directory names. These paths to search gets broken on
> the spaces in the directory name instead of just at the separator.

Can you work around it by putting in your path the 8.3 replacement
names like progra~1?  Yes, it is ugly, I know.

One fix could be to use tab or newline only for word separation.
That would be a rather largish change, however, and not limited
to just that one loop in func_mode_link.  I'm not sure it's worth
it.

> Another problem is that my PATH contains references to other
> environemnt variables (e.g. ...:%COMPILER%\bin).

Huh?  Does the MinGW sh handle this?  How?

> Again the "which" program seems to handle this.

The file searching loop is a very hot one in func_mode_link.  If we
introduce forks there, things can get veeery slow, so we really should
avoid it if we can.