Removing multiple copies of ltmain.sh

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Removing multiple copies of ltmain.sh
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 11:51:32 -0400

I have about a dozen libraries that get built with libtool. They're all convenience libraries but they can be developed individually, so they have their own configure script, as well as as all the libtool-related scripts.

These libraries are included in five major projects, in various combinations. So when the major projects get packaged, the tarball gets multiple copies of ltmain.sh, one in each library subdirectory. Although gzip helps here, it's still quite a mouthful.

Can anyone suggest a clean way to eliminate all those copies of ltmain.sh. I can always hack up a hook that replaces them with hardlinks, before the tarball gets created, but perhaps there's a better way. The catch here is that each component library has its own configuration needs, so it needs its own configure script, and that's where the libtool dependency comes from. It's more maintainable to have each library have its own self-contained configure script, then to try to merge, and maintain all those bits in the main project's main configure script. So, I'd like to keep all the libraries with their own self-contained configure script, which get recursively invoked by the main projects' top level configure, but optimize away the multiple copies of ltmain.sh.