Re: libtool errors "command not found" and "ignoring unknown tag"

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool errors "command not found" and "ignoring unknown tag"
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:12:56 +0200

* Frank Lahm wrote on Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:11:07AM CEST:
> ../../libtool: line 793: X--tag=CC: command not found
> ../../libtool: line 826: libtool: ignoring unknown tag : command not found
> ../../libtool: line 793: X--mode=compile: command not found
> ---8<---
>
> Googling for the error messages pointed in the direction of
> libtool/ltmain.sh version problems [2],

Yes.  The libtool script is generated from the ltmain.sh file, and from
the results of tests done at configure time.  These Libtool-specific
tests all come from a few macro files, libtool.m4, ltdl.m4,
ltversion.m4, ltoptions.m4, ltsugar.m4.  They are used by the aclocal
and autoconf programs, the latter of which generates the configure
script.

Now, if the macro files come from an Libtool 1.5.x package, and the
ltmain.sh file comes from Libtool 2.2.x, or vice versa, then the above
problem can happen.  Your user needs to ensure that, when he reruns the
autotools in order to update one of them, also the other set is updated.
This can typically be ensured by running "autoreconf -vif".

> but I don't really understand
> the solution proposed in [2] and therefor this doesn't really give me
> a clue on how to fix is. A tarball with the exact package throwing the
> error could be downloaded at [3].

This tarball looks fine to me.  Without any autotools reruns you should
never see this issue.

> I can not reproduce this error nor canst the Debain package
> maintainer. The version of the distributed ltmain.sh is
> VERSION="1.5.22 Debian 1.5.22-4".
>
> Our configure.in calls AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN and then AC_PROG_LIBTOOL,
> we're bootstrapping by:
> libtoolize --copy --force && \
>         aclocal -I macros $ACLOCAL_FLAGS && \
>         autoheader && \
>         automake --include-deps --add-missing --foreign && \
>         autoconf

Is it possible that the aclocal of your user finds Libtool macros from a
different version than the libtoolize he runs is from?  You can inspect
the --verbose output from aclocal to find out.

Hope that helps.