Re: building a completely static executable (using boost regex library

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: building a completely static executable (using boost regex library)
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:29:27 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Lorenzo Bettini wrote:

Your project is lacking a dependency on the thread library. When static linking, all the libraries that your library depends on need to be listed.

it looks like stdlib depends on that, but I thought there was a static version of that too... also libboost_regex seems to depend on that...

how can one know all the libraries to link to? I'm using autotools, and I thought that it would take care of that...

Libtool discovers any additional required libraries by reading installed ".la" text files. It is quite possible for a ".la" to include an incomplete dependency listing and still work for shared library builds since Linux automatically adds more libraries at link and run time based on dependencies coded into the various .so files. However, static builds need to be fully-specified since static libraries don't store any implicit dependencies, and they need to satisfy all static linkage requirements at link time.

Many Linux distributions intentionally omit the .la files.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn