Re: Gentoo bug #249617 - problem with libtool, perl or unixODBC ?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Gentoo bug #249617 - problem with libtool, perl or unixODBC ?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 21:49:24 +0200

* Rafał Mużyło wrote on Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:15:27PM CEST:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 07:22:54PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
> >
> > Libtool 2.2.6 allows you to specify global or local visibility with the
> > lt_dladvise_local and lt_dladvise_global functions.
> >
> Just to make sure: that was not possible in libtool 1.5,
> right ?

Right.

> > > Now, my question is: is this problem solvable without
> > > modifing libtool and where does the problem really lie
> > > - in unixODBC design, in the way perl handles modules
> > > or somewhere else ?
> >
> > You'd probably just need to update to a newer libltdl and use its
> > features.
> >
> Above meant: unixODBC should be updated to use libtool 2,
> correct ?

Yes, the above would be a good reason to do so.  :-)
(I have no idea whether there are other, unrelated reasons for unixODBC
not to upgrade.)

> Here, I'm simply trying to understand what exactly the
> initial problem was, that made unixODBC people patch
> libltdl.

Well, the need for local (or for global!) visibility of symbols from
dlopened modules both arises frequently.  I cannot tell you about the
specific unixODBC issue.  However, there have been threads on the
Libtool lists about such requirements for some packages.