Re: Using purify with lintool

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Using purify with lintool
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 19:22:50 +0200

Hello Pankaj,

* Agrawal, Pankaj wrote on Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 01:01:58PM CEST:
> I want to instrument apache 2.0 with IBM Purify Plus.
>
> Given that Apache 2.0 uses libtool and the compilation and linking
> happens in separate phases, we need to include purify in the link line
> for the instrumentation to be successful.
>
> Can anybody tell me which file has to be modified for this?

Yes, probably.  Can you tell us in which way purify ought to be invoked
when libtool is not involved?

Likely, something like this should work:
  ./configure CC='purify gcc'
  make

but it will probably be rather slow; so to speed it up, you might want
to try replacing the last command with
  make CC=gcc CCLD='purify gcc'

if you don't need to run purify during compilation.  That still makes
for an awful slow configure (so a --config-cache should be beneficial
for reruns).

If you don't need to use purify during creation of shared libraries,
then you can probably g et away with something like
  ./configure CC=gcc
  make CCLD='purify gcc'

(all of this is assuming GNU make, BTW; otherwise use something like
  env CCLD='purify gcc' make -e
).

BTW, if there are any issues, can you please post the libtool version
that Apache 2.0 uses (./libtool --version)?

Thanks,