Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libt

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libtool shared libs problem
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 10:17:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Anssi Hannula wrote:

I think the proper way to solve this is to not link to dependency_libs
when linking dynamically on systems where it is not needed to link to
those. I haven't seen any correctly working patches that implement this.

Relying on the OS's implicit dependency features seems to be an approach which is fraught with peril.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn