Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libt

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: removal of .la files from Debian and a possible solution to the libtool shared libs problem
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:33:26 -0700

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 2009, Anssi Hannula wrote:

>> I think the proper way to solve this is to not link to dependency_libs
>> when linking dynamically on systems where it is not needed to link to
>> those. I haven't seen any correctly working patches that implement
>> this.

> Relying on the OS's implicit dependency features seems to be an approach
> which is fraught with peril.

Relying on the dynamic linker to resolve implicit dependencies is the only
way that it's really feasible to maintain a distribution the size of
Debian.  Otherwise, your shared library dependencies get so entangled that
it's extremely difficult to correctly handle transitions.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>