Re: Better soname linking

From: Jan Engelhardt
Subject: Re: Better soname linking
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 20:42:00 +0100 (CET)

On Wednesday 2009-11-04 20:22, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 03:00:27PM +0100, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>>
>>  program: unknown symbol api23_function in libfoo.so.22
>>  (or similar wording)
>
>In Debian-based systems there we have 2 solutions for that:
>- Make sure that the Depends field always has a version of
>  >= 23

That would be manual work, would not it?
And manual work tensd to be forgotten sometimes.

>- Look at the symbols that got used, and only depend on
>  >= 23 when symbols from that version are used.

This sounds like the nicest approach, but how would you figure
out what symbols belong to 23 and which to 22?
What if a symbol has kept its name, yet changed in semantics?
The Linux Kernel has a number of features that address these
issues for itself, and it would take work to make this fly
for standard userspace code too.