libtool option to build both static and shared?

From: Stepan Kasal
Subject: libtool option to build both static and shared?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 17:11:00 +0100

Hello,
   I'd like to ask you to help with the following problem:

A project contains sources for several libraries.  Most of them
should be built as shared libraries only, but one of them is to be
built both as a shared library and as a static one.

The user would like to use LT_INIT([disable-static]) and then
override the *FLAGS in the subdirectory containing the library that
needs to be available in both forms.  He tried to use -static and
-shared together, but it did not work.  (This is the documented
behaviour; though an error message from libtool might help to get
this obvious.)

Is there an option that would tell libtool to "build both", even
though it was configured with --disable-static?

I invented a solution that should work: configure with
--enable-static and then use -shared in CFLAGS or AM_CFLAGS for all
but libraries but that one.  I could recommend this solution to the
user, but I feel that the solution outlined above would be more
comfortable.

Thank you for any help,
        Stepan Kasal