Re: libtool option to build both static and shared?

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: libtool option to build both static and shared?
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 21:11:58 +0100

Hi Stepan,

* Stepan Kasal wrote on Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 05:11:00PM CET:
> A project contains sources for several libraries.  Most of them
> should be built as shared libraries only, but one of them is to be
> built both as a shared library and as a static one.
>
> The user would like to use LT_INIT([disable-static])

That won't work portably.  If you disable one of the types here, then
possibly some (system-dependent) configure tests may be omitted, which
means you may run into trouble enabling the type later.  This remark
definitely holds for disable-shared.  With disable-static I'm not sure
without checking the sources, but it's prudent to assume the same.

Instead, I'd suggest to just add --tag=disable-static to AM_LIBTOOLFLAGS
or the per-target special (such as libfoo_la_LIBTOOLFLAGS).

> and then
> override the *FLAGS in the subdirectory containing the library that
> needs to be available in both forms.  He tried to use -static and
> -shared together, but it did not work.  (This is the documented
> behaviour; though an error message from libtool might help to get
> this obvious.)

> Is there an option that would tell libtool to "build both", even
> though it was configured with --disable-static?

Not portably; see above.

> I invented a solution that should work: configure with
> --enable-static and then use -shared in CFLAGS or AM_CFLAGS for all
> but libraries but that one.  I could recommend this solution to the
> user, but I feel that the solution outlined above would be more
> comfortable.

Yeah, something like this seems necessary.