Re: Understanding libtool on Windows / MinGW

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Subject: Re: Understanding libtool on Windows / MinGW
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:34:05 +0100

Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> writes:
> I suggest that you look into the issue of throwing C++ exceptions past
> DLL boundaries.  This seems to be a complex issue for Windows with
> several solutions, none of which are perfect.  Due to these issues, it
> is not unusual for a DLL version of libstdc++ to be missing.

Well, the problem is not that there is no dynamic libstdc++ - as you
say, that's a feature.  The problem is that the .la file says there is.
I suppose the maintainers built both static and shared versions of
libstdc++, then removed the dynamic version before rolling the tarball.
Older versions of MinGW have a .la file with an empty library_names, and
that works fine.

In the end, I had to downgrade MinGW anyway (for compatibility reasons),
so my immediate problem is solved, and I understand libtool a little bit
better, though still not as well as I'd like.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - address@hidden