Re: Security fix for libtool

From: Philipp Thomas
Subject: Re: Security fix for libtool
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 17:52:08 +0100

* Bob Friesenhahn (address@hidden) [20091124 18:34]:

> >I'm maintaining libtool for SuSE/Novell and have a problem where I would
> >need help from upstreams.  You just released 2.2.6a to fix the local load
> >problem.
>
> You need 2.2.6b (not 'a'!) to fix the problem.

Sorry, I did mean 'b' not 'a'.

> A patch for 1.5.26 does exist (see
> "http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2009-11/msg00065.html";).

That's very good news indeed.

> There is no patch for 1.4.X versions.

What I have are 1.5.2, 1.5.22 and 1.5.26 and at least for the last one a
solution exists. That leaves only two to really care for.

> perhaps late '99 have the issue so this is a good time to try to
> upgrade libltdl to a consistent modern version.

For released distributions, specially the server products this is out of the
question, though I would prefer that too.

> That said, there is cause for concern under Linux, but (usually) no
> need for alarm.

And thanks for your answer!

Philipp