Re: Preloading without .la

From: Pierre Ossman
Subject: Re: Preloading without .la
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 10:46:52 +0100

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 12:58:47 -0600 (CST)
Bob Friesenhahn <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Pierre Ossman wrote:
>
> > I upgraded to libtool 2 the other day and was hit by this bug again.
> > Has there been any work on fixing this rather large hole in the preload
> > functionality?
>
> Did someone say 'hole'?
>
> Can you please summarize the issue again to refresh our memory?
>
> Any solution needs to be fully secure, even if the underlying OS is
> not as secure as it should be.

Heh, "hole" as in "missing functionality", not as in "security hole" so
no need to get overly excited. :)

What I meant was the missing ability to use preloading to get rid of
extra files (getting rid of the .so files in favour of .la files is not
really a win in my book).

As I said in my follow-up mail though, that ability seems to be there
in the current libtool release, but it has a bug that messes up things
for me (the name mangling).

(The original thread/issue is therefore rather irrelevant now)

Rgds
--
Pierre Ossman            OpenSource-based Thin Client Technology
System Developer         Telephone: +46-13-21 46 00