Re: Disable --whole-archive when using convenience archives

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: Disable --whole-archive when using convenience archives
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 21:17:32 +0100

Hello Alon,

* Alon Bar-Lev wrote on Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 07:08:03PM CET:
> I have some convenience archives linked against several modules.
>
> I wish only required objects to be included in modules.

Then make the convenience archives not be convenience archives any
longer, i.e., make them libtool libraries.

You can make them "normal" libtool libraries with either
  foo_LTLIBRARIES = libbar.la

but then they will be installed in $(foodir) ('foo' often being 'lib').
If you don't want that, then you can get automake to not install them,
but libtool still treat them as normal libraries with
  noinst_LTLIBRARIES = libbar.la
  libbar_la_LDFLAGS = -rpath /some/dir

In either case, they may end up being shared libraries (or both), so if
you don't want that, add -static to libbar_la_LDFLAGS.