Re: dlopening the C runtime library

From: Sam Varshavchik
Subject: Re: dlopening the C runtime library
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 08:52:52 -0500

Howard Chu writes:

Running something in the configure script would work for me. Has anyone ever
did something like this? Such as, determining that lt_dlopenext() ends up
really opening "libc.so.6", so that's what I really need to open?

None of this guesswork should be needed. Since the main program already depends on libc, you should be able to lt_dlopen(NULL) and reference the main program to find libc's symbols.

My use case is intercepting a main application's calls to library functions. I set LD_PRELOAD to preload my own shared library which provides replacement symbols for socket(), connect(), etc…

My wrapper needs to find the real socket() and connect(). I haven't checked this yet, but I suspect that since my shared library was loaded ahead of libc, after lt_dlopen(NULL), using lt_dlsym() will simply return a pointer to my own symbols, rather than libc's.