Re: new libtool version makes troble

From: Joakim Tjernlund
Subject: Re: new libtool version makes troble
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 23:40:22 +0100

Ralf Wildenhues <address@hidden> wrote on 08/12/2009 20:57:17:

> Hello Joakim,
>
> * Joakim Tjernlund wrote on Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 03:23:39PM CET:
> >
> > We just upgraded libtool from 1.5.26 to 2.2.6 and our build
> > broke. Our host requires 2.2.6 so keeping the old appears difficult.
> >
> > Even though we only run autoreconf manually in our project, the new libtool
> > slipped into the project and the build broke.
> > I can fix this by rerunning autoreconf -i -f in the current trunk but
> > I cannot do that in already released SW.
> > I had the impression that the libtool files installed by libtoolize -f
> > should contain everything needed by libtool, that is, there would not be
> > any dependencies of the host libtool.
>
> That is normally the case.
>
> Note that with Libtool 2.2.x, you can also use the following strategy:
> add AC_CONFIG_MACRO_DIR([m4]) to configure.ac, add
>   ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS = -I m4
> to Makefile.am, and run 'libtoolize -f --install' to have the Libtool
> macro files be copied into your tree.  That way, aclocal.m4 will refer
> to them (rather than carry around a copy of their contents).
>
> > How can I prevent the new host libtool from slipping into
> > the project?
>
> I'm afraid I can't tell you with the information that you have given.
> Please show, not describe, how the host Libtool gets into your project;
> i.e., cut and paste the commands you enter and their output that shows
> something goes wrong.  If your project is open source, don't refrain to
> link to a tarball or repository.

Sorry for the somewhat vague description, but I have gotten somewhat further.

> > I would like to be able to run autoreconf even after upgrading the
> > host libtool too, if possible.
>
> Ah, if all you're after is to prevent autoreconf from running
> libtoolize, then try
>   LIBTOOLIZE=true autoreconf

I did add a m4 dir and copied the old libtool.m4 there. Now
I can run configure and all is well but I think I might have misunderstood
libtoolize. I figured libtoolize didn't install new files over the
old ones unless -f was given. Is this how it is supposed to be?
LIBTOOLIZE=true autoreconf appears to work, however I would like
some way for autoreconf to pick this up automatically, if possible.

I do have the impression that configure/make sometimes reruns
libtoolize automatically, maybe I am just seeing things that aren't there?

> Another issue may be that aclocal fails to find the in-tree libtool
> macros, but finds some installed ones.  That can typically be found out
> by passing --verbose to aclocal (passing --verbose to autoreconf will do
> that).

What happens are that aclocal somehow triggers and install a new aclocal.m4 with
the new libtool macros. The old ltmain.sh does not understand these and dies.
Adding the m4 dir keeps the old macros and ltmain.sh works again

  Jocke